Madurai Province

“Madurai Province“ derives its name from ‘Madura Mission’ which stands for two Jesuits Missions, namely the ‘Old Madura Mission’ (1606–1759–1773) run by the Portuguese Jesuits of the old Society of Jesus and the “New Madura Mission’ (1937 – 1952) by the French Jesuits of the New Society. The name ‘Madura is very significant here because since its foundation in 1606, all the European Jesuits, both of the Old and New Society, continued to keep the name ‘Madura and called their mission ‘Madura Mission’. While the Old Madura Mission had Madurai as its headquarters, the headquarters of the new Mission was Tiruchirapalli. Though the foundation of the Mission was laid by Robert de Nobili, the real base for the present Madurai Province was laid and developed the French Jesuits who worked for its development and consolidation. Madurai Mission was raised to the status of a Vice–Province in 1929, still dependent on the Toulouse Province; In the Centenary Year (1852 – 1952) of the Toulouse Province, Madurai Vice-Province was raised to the status of an Independent Province in 1952. The fruits of the tireless efforts and heroic sacrifices of the French Jesuits left behind for the new province: St. Joseph’s School and College, Tiruchy (1844), St. Mary’s School, Dindigul (1850), St. Mary’s School, Madurai (1855), St. Xavier’s School (1880) and College (1923), Playamkottai, St. Francis Xavier School, Tuticorin (1884), Loyola College, Chennai (1925), De Britto School, Devakottai (1943) and St. Xavier’s College of Education, Palayamkottai (1950).

St Xavier's Hr. Sec. School, Thoothukudi

Carmel Hr. Sec. School, Nagercoil